Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: le ze romoi selsku be la Yecus

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:20:14 EST

In a message dated 3/29/2002 12:50:37 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> > doi cevni be mi ki'u ma do cliva mi
> 
> brobau: éli, éli, láma sabatháni. What exactly is the last word'smeaning? 
> =
> 

My text seems to have "sabachthani" but I don't trust myself reading Hebrew 
characters. It always gets translated as "you have forsaken" but I did not 
have the paitience to figure what more was involved in forsaking beyond 
leaving. Surely "in the lurch" is involved, as is a measure of surprise and 
disappointment (frustrated trust).

<> doi papap fi ledo xance fa mi lacri dunda lemi pruxi 

It's translated differently into German by M. Luther: Vater, in Deine Hände=

*empfehle* (recommand) ich meinen Geist.>

English has "commend" pretty regularly. I just don't know just what that 
involves. But, as xorxes notes, giving something to a hand is clearly off 
base. Maybe "entrust" would be closer -- I don't think the spirit (or soul) 
is asking for a job.

<(BTW, interesting question raised by PC: is it *ruach* in the sense of "'ru=

ach ha'koresh" - don't think so - rather: "'nefesh" or in 
the sense of "leha'chazir" or "lehashiv eth *hanshamah*")>

I don't think any of the languages involved are too clear on the differences 
(nor am I, come to that) but some sorting would be useful -- and probably not 
just for Bible trats.