Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: armoraci

From: lojbab <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 00:56:40 -0500

At 01:22 PM 4/2/02 +0200, Adam Raizen wrote:
>la pier. cusku di'e
>
> > Sounds good, except that lettuce is not in the cabbage family (it's in
> > spatrkomposita/spatrxasterace, and is already there). Tanru are good for
> > common names for a lot of species and varieties; if you want to be
>specific,
> > add {be la'o ly ... ly}.
>
>'kobli' is defined as
>'x1 is a quantity of cabbage/lettuce/leafy vegetable of species/strain x2'
>and so apparently isn't meant to be a taxonomic term, but to include leafy
>vegetables of Chenopodiaceae, Asteraceae, Brassicaceae, etc.

NONE of the gismu are intended to be strictly taxonomic (other than the one 
for "species"). Metaphorical extension and usage was always expected to be 
a part of defining the words, with the x2 used if someone really wanted to 
restrict things taxonomically (you use the Linnean name in la'o quotes in 
x2 to be PROPERLY taxonomic - that is why la'o is a part of the language)

lojbab