Subject: Re: [lojban] ce'u once again

From: Adam Raizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 22:22:27 +0200

la pycyn. cusku di'e

> > No it doesn't. 'zmadu' requires a unary property in the 3rd place.
> >
> Why? Why not say "is to the left of"?

I'm not sure what you are suggesting should be replaced by 'is to the left
of', but 'zmadu' compares the result of applying the x3 property to x1 with
the result of applying it to x2 and claims that the former 'is more than'
the latter.

The best I can come up with for a binary property in x3 of 'zmadu' is that
the binary property would specify the relationship between x1 and x2, maybe
something like 'la fred. la djordj. zmadu le ka ce'u ralju le cecmu be
ce'u' --> 'Fred is more than George in being the head of his community.'
This might be a cute trick, but it's very different from the normal use of
'zmadu' and in any case isn't a way to interpret the sentence this
discussion is based on. ('lenu la fred. bilma cu zmadu lenu la djordj. bilma
kei leka ce'u rinka leka ce'u ruble') In that sentence, the second argument
for the binary property isn't itself a sumti of the main bridi, and so at
best it's very confusing.

mu'o mi'e .adam.