Subject: [lojban] how to record audio clips (was: Re: xirli'u selsanga)

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 12:38:17 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, And Rosta wrote:

> Now, what gear do I need to record myself? (No unix bollocks, I'm a win98
> neanderthal.)

Get a microphone. Plug it into the correct jack of your computer's sound
card. (A US$20-$30 pair of headphones will actually work, as well, and be
much higher quality. Just plug them into the microphone jack, and speak
into the earpieces. I swear.)

Download the Dionysus MP3 Encoder, pull the files out of the zip file, and
stick them in whatever folder you find convinent. (I am in the process of
uploading the Dionysys encoder to the mailing list files area.)

Pull up the Windows "Volume Control". Then in Volume Control, go to the
Properties submenu of 'Options'. Select the 'Recording' radio button. Hit
'OK'. You'll be presented with volume controls for a number of audio in
connections. Click the checkbox next to 'Select', underneath the "Mic
Volume" slider. You'll probably need to move the slider volume all the way
up. Leave Volume Control running, as you may need to adjust the mic
volume.

Find "Sound Recorder". (Probably Start Menu -> Accessories ->
Entertainment) Run it. Then, under the File menu, select "Properties".
Click the "Convert Now" button. Under the "Attributes" combo box, look for
"44.100 kHz, 16 Bit, Mono 86kb/sec". Select it. Click OK. Click OK
again.

Now you can use sound recorder as you would expect. The red dot record
button will start recording from the mic, appending it to the end of
whatever else has been recorded. The stop button will stop recording. If
you want to discard what has been recorded so far, go to the File menu,
and select "New".

Once you've gotten whatever you want recorded, got back to the File menu,
and click on "Save As". Save it, wherever you'll be able to find it again.

Repeat the above for however many sound clips you'd like to produce.

And, actually when I just tried it, the "Save As" dialog didn't reflect
the changes made in the properties. So if at the bottom of the "Save As"
dialog, you don't see what was previously picked (44.1kHz, 16 bit mono),
then click on 'Change' again and set it.

Now, go find wherever you put the Dionysus MP3 Encoder, and start it.

Click the "Browse for the files individually" button. Find the files that
you just recorded, and add them to the list of files to be encoded.

Click on the "Stereo Mode" combo box, find the "Mono" selection, and pick
it.

You'll now have an MP3 file of whatever you recorded. Then, happily go
about distributing it. :)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose