Subject: Re: poem recordings (was: Re: [lojban] Re: brify)

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 22:50:25 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> 1. Speech is *REALLY* simple to encode. If your mp3 files are larger
> than, say, 256KB per *minute*, you need to turn your mp3 encoding *way*
> down. 24KHz, mono, 64Kbps should be *more* than sufficient. Heck,
> 32Kbps is probably plenty. Voice is *really* cheap to encode.

*dee*doo*dee*doo*dee*doo*

Signal Processing Police! :)

Actually if you know you're going to turn your recording into an MP3, you
should record it at absolutely the highest quality you can manage. Stereo
isn't worthwhile, but 44.1kHz, 16 bit is good. That gives the MP3 encoder
more to work with, and doesn't affect the size out of the output. (You
pick that with your bitrate, and is unaffected by the quality parameters
you chose.)

48 to 64Kbps MP3s ought to be plenty for monoaural voice, particularly
with a decent mic that will cut out background noise. (Plenty as in,
flawless encoding.)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose