Subject: Re: [lojban] x2 of 'le'

From: Robin Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:33:18 +0300

On Monday 15 April 2002 14:11, Ted Reed wrote:
> On Sunday 14 April 2002 21:53, Ted Reed wrote:
> > I'm not sure if something like this already exists, but I got the
> > idea and decided to send it in.
> >
> > If I've learned it correctly, 'le' basically means "that/those
> > which is/are described as ..." What it doesn't specify is who
> > describes it as that. Take this example:

I think "le" is more like "that which I call" - by definiton it is 
the speaker doing the calling, so cannot be applied to anyone else 
(apart from anything else, you'd then need a "lo" in front of the 
whole shebang). You could perhaps use a modal, though I'm not sure 
which one would work. "cu'u" wouldn't work, since "le" refers to the 
thing, not the utterance. "du'o" might be possible, but, for example 
"le melbi ninmu du'o la ted." to me implies that Ted _knows_ that the 
thing referred to is a beautiful woman, whereas Ted's own utterance, 
"le melbi ninmu" does not imply this.

robin.tr

-- 
"Bravo Epictetus!" - Epictetus

Robin Turner
IDMYO, Bilkent Universitesi
Ankara 06533
Turkey

http://www.bilkent.edu.tr/~robin