Subject: Re: [lojban] Lists and Spam

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 12:42:11 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 [email-masked] wrote:

> Apparently, so long as anyone can join a list some pitchman will and
> drop us a line.

There is a difference between someone being able to send a spam to the
mailing list, and our email addresses being sold so that spam can be sent
to us directly.

> Constant monitoring will prevent this, of course, but who has the time
> for that on a heavy volume list like Lojban?

One does not have to monitor every individual message. A list can be setup
such that only those parties subscribed to it can send email to it. Each
subscription can then be manually approved. (There aren't that many of
them on this list. As Lojbab mentioned, <=400 in the past couple of
years.)

> Nor will the spamicators block this sort of stuff.

Given that you've never used software like SpamAssassin, I think you'd be
surprised by the effectiveness of it. And, to guarantee that nothing is
lost, SpamAssassin could simply be arranged to move everything it thinks
is spam to some sort of holding folder for manual approval.

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose