Subject: Re: [lojban] So you think you're logical?

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:19:27 +0000

la pycyn cusku di'e

>So? I got them all right each time through. does this prove that {ganai...
>gi...} is really the right thing for "if... then..."? (Or does it prove 
>that
>I am professionally weird?)

I thought it very interesting that 75% of people get them wrong,
and that this drops to 40% in the case of contexts with cheating.
That means we're not really relying on logic when dealing with
these sorts of problems.

The question would be whether the results would be better if the
problem was presented in Lojban, where presumably this particular
connective is more transparent. And what would happen if the
problems were worded in English something like:

"The rule governing the production of the cards states that a
card either doesn't have a circle on one side, or it has the
colour yellow on the other."

That's how a lojbanist would read it. Would we get a higher
percenatge of right answers?

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com