Subject: RE: [lojban] So you think you're logical?

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 23:20:11 +0100

Robin.ca:
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 08:16:02PM +0100, And Rosta wrote:
> > Jorge:
> > > That's how a lojbanist would read it. Would we get a higher
> > > percenatge of right answers?
> > 
> > Yes, if you mean actual Lojbanists, since we self-select mainly on
> > grounds of our interest in logic.
> 
> Except that it has been shown that formal logical training doesn't help.

Yes, I noted that with interest. But I wonder if "formal logical
training in" is the same as "interest in" (meaning the kind of
interest that Lojbanists have). I think some others have already
mentioned they got 4/4, as did I, which didn't surprise me (-- I've
done Wason tests before along with a roomful of people cleverer than
me but differently-minded; they got them wrong & I got them right).
(I got my wife to do it, since she's always telling me she's 100
times more logical than me; she got 0 out of 4, which delighted
but did not surprise me.) At any rate, to repeat the point I'm
trying to make, it seems to me that there really is such a thing
as 'logicality of mind' in some narrow sense related to abstract
reasoning of certain kinds, and that this mental quirk is probably
more prevalent among Lojbanists than among the population at large.
If one really wanted to test this, one could get a load of Lojbanists
to do the Wason test. Indeed, I invite people to send me their
results (offlist), if they want me to compile statistics.

--And.