Subject: [lojban] Re: Fwd: Lojban dictionary in TEI

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 10:51:12 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Nick Nicholas wrote:

> What I don't know is whether that might not overlap with what Jay had
> already gotten started with his own work on the dictionary. We'd
> obviously want the one to talk to the other. doi djez. pe'ipei

XML TEI would make a nice export target for whatever system I finally end
up producing.

However, XML is just a very structured flat file. You're limited in the
number of people who can work on it convinently.

As has been demonstrated, one person will not complete a dictionary in a
useful amount of time.

So, um, really, what I mean to say is that there isn't any overlap.
Single person efforts have a poor track record, but collaborative efforts
(Alice, the Wiki), produce nice results, quickly. Further, having a big
XML file solve any problems I've so far identified. (The main two being
that: 1) We need a quality typeset printed dictionary 2) We need a really
nice, canonical searchable online dictionary.)

This is not meant to in any way say that TEI isn't good stuff, I just
don't see how it solves any of our real problems.

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose