Subject: 'Nother IRC Conversation. Comments?

From: Ted Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 13:59:49 -0700

This one is re: ponse and cultural neutrality. Comments?

(This is actually a couple days late. My ISP's SMTP server was really 
screwing up...)

<cein> so "have" covers more than "own"
<cein> just like we say "i have three children"
<LordBrain> frankly to me, there is owning, and there is possessing, and 
they are very different. The american indians didnt 'own' the land, they 
didnt believe in owning land. But they used it regularly, lived on it, 
so on.
<bancus> cein: Technically, people own their children, too.
<cein> technically, property is impossible, and God owns you all
<bancus> If the child leaves their parents without permission, they can 
be hunted down and returned.
<bancus> I think the line between ownership and possesion is the legal 
backing.
<LordBrain> yes, technically "own" is an artificial thing, requiring a 
state or authority
<cein> but i don't know how much more politics i can take on such a day 
as this which lends itself so well to real linguistic discussion
<Taliesin> or the ability to defend your ownership (which is just a kind 
of authority)
<bancus> To "own" something is to possess it with legal authority to 
keep it or have it returned to you if it is taken.
<bancus> Perhaps we should start a revolt.
<bancus> And start using ponse to mean possess and a lujvo with ponse 
and "legal" to mean own.
<LordBrain> that makes sense
<cein> and on May Day no less
<Taliesin> heh
<LordBrain> hehe
<bancus> cein: Forgive me if I miss the connection.
<Taliesin> hit the mailing list with something about it. this might 
already have been worked out, at least, as it relates to lojban
<cein> 1. May Day, First of May, May 1 -- (observed in the United 
States to celebrate the coming of spring; observed in Russia in honor of 
labor)
<bancus> Heh.
<bancus> k
* bancus pastes some of this in an e-mail.

-- rizen/bancus