Subject: Re: [lojban] Law, hir lin...

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 10:52:30 -0400

On Sunday 19 May 2002 10:21, aolung wrote:
> What do you think of the Lojban translation below?
>
> .aulun.
> _________
>
> "Law, hîr nín, ú dollen i Rîw. Anírach, nui lû, gwannad uin gwaith lín?"
> (A= rwen to Aragorn)
> "Nem, uram, még nem jött a tél. Akar-e, az idõ elõtt, elmenni a népérõl?"
> "Nein, mein Gebieter, noch ist der Winter nicht gekommen. Wollt Ihr, vor
> de= r Zeit, Euer Volk verlassen?"
> "lu naku doi turni be mi do'u ca dunra .i .ue paunai pu'o le tertei ku do
> d= jica lenu cliva le do natmi li'u"

I know neither Sindarin nor Hungarian, so I'm trying to go by the German.

{naku ca dunra} (btw, {do'u} is unnecessary) means "it is not now winter" 
without indicating whether Arwen expects winter to be past or future. I'd say 
{bajecanai dunra} if she knows that it's future.

{tertei} doesn't sound right - it's the endpoint of a time interval, and the 
obvious time interval is winter - but it's the *beginning* of winter, if I 
understand right, that would be the appropriate time. Maybe {citsi}.

phma