Subject: Re: Law, hir nin...

From: "aolung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 17:26:18 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., Pierre Abbat <phma@w...> wrote:
> On Sunday 19 May 2002 10:21, aolung wrote:
> > What do you think of the Lojban translation below?

> I know neither Sindarin nor Hungarian, so I'm trying to go by the German.=

> 
> {naku ca dunra} (btw, {do'u} is unnecessary) means "it is not now winter"=
 
> without indicating whether Arwen expects winter to be past or future. I'd=
say 
> {bajecanai dunra} if she knows that it's future.

I like your {bajecanai} for giving "not yet" (although the "yet" is not ver=
bally 
expressed in Sindarin, just expressed by "haven't come", which would be unl=
ojbanic
with regard to winter). Apart from this, those people do not talk about *se=
asons* 
(gone by or in the future), so {dunra} is used as a synonym/metaphor for {m=
robi'o}
which anyway is problematic in Lojban: a certainty to be expected -> bajeca=
nai!
Also "gwannad" refers to {mrobi'o}, hence daring to give it literally by {c=
liva}.
 
> {tertei} doesn't sound right - it's the endpoint of a time interval, and =
the 
> obvious time interval is winter - but it's the *beginning* of winter, if =
I 
> understand right, that would be the appropriate time. Maybe {citsi}.

"nui lû"/before the time" also sounds pretty metaphorical for Lojbanic
understanding: I still seem to like (pu'o le tertei) for "before the ending=
point
of this present time interval has been reached" (maybe {pu'o} is too close =
to that point!).
I.e., winter's beginning *beyond* that border.

BTW, I've removed some typos (the Hungarian one being quite funny: "from up=
on"
(your people) ;-)

ki'emi'e .aulun.
_________

"Law, hîr nín, ú dollen i Rîw. Anírach, nui lû, gwannad uin(g) gwaith lín?"=

(Arwen na Aragorn)
"Nem, uram, még nem jött a tél. Akar-e, az idõ elõtt, elmenni a népétõl?"
"Nein, mein Gebieter, noch ist der Winter nicht gekommen. Wollt Ihr,
vor der Zeit, Euer Volk verlassen?"
"lu naku doi turni be mi bajecanai dunra .i .ue paunai pu'o le tertei ku
do djica lenu cliva le do natmi li'u"