Subject: Re: [lojban] amazon.com & the complete lojban language

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:44:01 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 23 May 2002, lojbab wrote:

> We considered doing so for our own Web Page, but have "never got around to
> it", though I now have a scanner. Since the book is a solid color with
> only the title on it, there isn't a lot to see in a simple cover scan, but
> I guess it could be done.

People like pictures, even if they're boring.

> We haven't put in a link to them; why would they link to us?

Well, when you're amazon.com, you don't really need one more reciprocating
link. They're interested in selling books. People like to know about the
books they're buying, which is why Amazon.com provides copious reviews for
books. (When such reviews are available.)

However, I don't think they provide active links to web pages, even for
major books by major publishers. (Which was more my point. I don't think
they want to make it convinent for people to leave their site. Which
makes sense.)

> It isn't like they make any money selling our books.

No, but they're still quite to be selling it. A book bought from them is
one less book bought from someone else. (And if you're already shopping
there, maybe you'll get something else. Standard retail practice.)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose