Subject: Re: lightning

From: "sklyanin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 10:42:02 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., Pierre Abbat <phma@w...> wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 June 2002 22:29, Shane J. H. Sniffen wrote:
> > what does one do when one is unsure of whether something is the 
origin
> > of lightning or the thing "struck"? lidni requires that you know
> > what's what. i suppose you could settle for tanruing it to lidni, 
but
> > that's too unspecific it seems. is there a way to like join or 
meld
> > the x2 and x3 of lidni?
> 
> Can you give an example of when you're unsure? The only one that 
comes to 
> mind is intercloud lightning, which could be expressed as {simxu be 
fa le'i 
> dilnu be'o lindi}.
> phma

The definition of {lindi} seems to cover also "electric arc" (e.g. a
welding arc?), or, possibly, a spark. For those x2 and x3 appear to be
symmetric (e.g. two electrodes). Even with the common lightning
the situation is not so simple: there are actually two "streamers"
coming from a cloud and from earth and meeting halfway in the air
- see an article on Lightning Physics at
http://regentsprep.org/Regents/physics/phys03/alightnin/default.htm

Perhaps, for such symmetric situations {soi} could be used,
something like

ti lindi le dilnu le dertu soi vo'e

co'o mi'e .evgenis.