Subject: RE: [lojban] Re: lightning

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:43:59 -0400

>> On Wednesday 05 June 2002 22:29, Shane J. H. Sniffen wrote:
>> > what does one do when one is unsure of whether something is the
>origin
>> > of lightning or the thing "struck"? lidni requires that you know
>> > what's what. i suppose you could settle for tanruing it to lidni,
>but
>> > that's too unspecific it seems. is there a way to like join or
>meld
>> > the x2 and x3 of lidni?
>>
>> Can you give an example of when you're unsure? The only one that
>comes to
>> mind is intercloud lightning, which could be expressed as {simxu be
>fa le'i
>> dilnu be'o lindi}.
>>
>> phma

>The definition of {lindi} seems to cover also "electric arc" (e.g. a
>welding arc?), or, possibly, a spark. For those x2 and x3 appear to be
>symmetric (e.g. two electrodes). Even with the common lightning
>the situation is not so simple: there are actually two "streamers"
>coming from a cloud and from earth and meeting halfway in the air
>- see an article on Lightning Physics at
>http://regentsprep.org/Regents/physics/phys03/alightnin/default.htm

How about making the negative the source and the positive the thing struck,
since most electric phenomena (Including lightning, IIRC, though I should
probably read the article) are caused by the flow of electrons from negative
to positive?

--la kreig.daniyl.

'coi doi drata mibypre
.i pu temci so'i detri
.i mi'o na cafne ka'e tavla
.i lenu go'i cu zekri
.ija'e ko mi cusku le do nambi
.i mi ba go'i do
.i mi'o cmila joi maltavla joi mi'atavla
joi pinxe le vanjo'
-la djimis.BYFet

pygypy gubmau ckiku nacycme: 0x5C3A1E74 (laldo), 0x22C68020 (citno)