Subject: Re: More Laudz

From: "aolung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 17:31:24 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., pycyn@a... wrote:
> 'lonu zasti ce lonu na zasti cu finsi'u
> .i loka nandu ce loka frili cu riksi'u
> .i loka clani ce loka tordu cu mresi'u
> .i loka galtu ce loka dizlu cu bapsi'u
> .i lo voksa joi lo sance cu saxsi'u
> .i caku lo purci lo bavli cu katyje'i'

Sein und Nichtsein entspringen einander 
Schwer und Leicht bedingen einander 
Lang und Kurz vermessen einander 
Hoch und Tief erzwingen einander. 
Die Stimme fügt sich dem Ton im Chor 
Und ein Danach folgt dem Zuvor . 

(Prof. G.Debon)

Don't have the original at hand, but I can say that the translation
was
also inspired by this German version (G.D. is a sinologist with high
reputation on the field of poetry).

> 6. {balvi} (all the rest is esthetic choices). Having both {kalte}
and 
> {jersi} seems like overkill, though the image is nice.

If I remember right, this was about the Chinese expression (chase?).
{jersi} seemed important (-> follow), {kalte} to build a
poetic/rhyming 
lujvo. 

> Why is the mutuality missing here (or is {je'i} a misprint for
{si'u})?  
> Surely the intention is that the future pursues the past as well

Don't think so: Future is eaten up by the past not viceversa! 

> What is the point of the 
> {caku}, which breaks the pattern? All of these are presumably
eternal facts 
> (indeed, one variant reading has just that claim about the list).

{caku} is the narrow (virtual) line where {purci} reaches {balvi} -
devouring/incorporating it live ;-( Excuse, this being my own idea!
Maybe the whole is circular in kind of a helix, but not mutual in
direction.

mi'e .aulun.