Subject: Re: la xantyde'i xaskoi

From: "Newton, Philip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:17:36 +0200

Pierre Abbat wrote:
> the Ivorians decided that the name of the country should be
> "Côte d'Ivoire" in all languages, because it was too confusing
> with the Germans calling it "Elfenbeinküste" pe'eje zo'e.

The translations could be taken as flattering -- generally, only well-known
and/or important places get a translated or "localised" name IMO.

> But the Verdurian version, like several others, translates it.

Though I (the translator of the Verdurian version) don't know whether that
can serve as an argument for or against translating :). At any rate, I
didn't think long and hard about the matter but just went ahead. (On the
other hand, I didn't translate "Ecuador", though I thought about doing so.)

> twdom.tab:ci 1 Ivory Coast (Cote d'Ivoire) ¶H¤ú®ü©¤¦@©M°ê

That's (elephant)(tooth)(sea)(beach)(together)(peace)(country), for the
Big5-impaired, or (ivory)(coast)(republic) if you group the characters to
what might be called "words".

What is your question? Is it whether to translate the name of the country by
meaning or by sound?

mu'omi'e filip.
[email copies appreciated]
-- 
Philip Newton <[email-masked]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.