Subject: RE: [lojban] "The bowl contains a dozen apples and oranges"

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:36:55 +0100

> >> > How does Lojban say that? There are 12 pieces of fruit in the bowl.
> >> > Some are apples, some are oranges.
> >>
> >> le gankabri cu vasru 12 najnimre ja plise. This of course does not imply
> that
> >> it contains at least one apple and at least one orange, but that's the
> way
> >> one would normally say it. Or {najnimre jonai plise} if you wanted to say
> >> explicitly that none of them is both an apple and an orange.
> 
> >I would use 'joi', myself.
> 
> There are many style differences also. For example, I would say it as "le
> gankabri gai najnimre joi plise cu vasru".

I don't find any of these satisfactory. Ja is unsatisfactory for the
reasons Pier states. Jonai has the same defect. Joi is merely vague.

I want to be sure that there is no decent answer that I'm overlooking
-- something along the lines of "gai mei be lo plise ce lo najnimre",
but ideally a bit neater, cleverer, more xorxesian.

--And.