Subject: Re: Automatic Lojban -> English translation?

From: "Newton, Philip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:10:27 +0200

And Rosta wrote:
> However, it's quite easy to translate Lojban into a version where the
> Lojban words are simply replaced by English/French/German equivalents.
> That way, you have to learn Lojban grammar and (more onerously)
> place-structures, but not the actual vocab.

Which is pretty much what jbofi'e does, isn't it? It translates words and
indicates place structures, leaving you to decipher the result into
idiomatic English. It's usually comprehensible enough, in my experience.

robin.tr wrote:
> I don't think much Lojban knowledge would be required 
> to understanfd the output.

Hm, not sure either. I find it understandable enough, but then, I have a
rudimentary knowledge of Lojban already.

I imagine knowing how conversions work (se, te, ve, xe) and the concept of
place structures will be helpful.

mu'omi'e filip.
[email copies appreciated]
-- 
Philip Newton <[email-masked]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.