Subject: Re: How to make best use of jbofi'e?

From: "Newton, Philip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:51:58 +0200

And Rosta wrote:
> I'd like to ask if there are any clever ways of using it in a
> Windows invironment, or whether one has to create a text file
> and run jbofi'e on it -- which is something one probably wouldn't
> bother to do for, say, an email message with one sentence of
> Lojban in it.

xod wrote:
> Don't bother installing anything if you just want to play around
> and watch it go.
> 
> http://www.epita.fr/~poss_r/lojban/jboski.html

Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> Failing that, I would assume, having never tried it, that it probably
> takes standard input on windows, i.e. that you run it from the command
> prompt, enter the lojban text, and hit (probably) ctrl-D.

Yes (Ctrl-Z under DOS, but the idea is the same). It can also take input
from a filename that you pass on the command line.

As xod pointed out, there's an online interactive version; if you have a
browser open to it, you could simply paste the sentence from the email into
the fish and "ko danre". (This is what I do all the time.)

The command-line version is a bit stark to use, but it should only be a
Small Matter of Programming to rig up something that, say, lives in the
system tray and will translate text you select with the mouse by passing it
to jbofi'e and capturing the output. Or a graphical frontend with an input
and output window similar to the on-line version (perhaps even with an HTML
renderer so you see the colorised version rather than the plain-text
output). But someone'd have to do that first.

mu'omi'e filip.
[email copies appreciated]
-- 
Philip Newton <[email-masked]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.