Subject: Re: [lojban] pro-sumti question

From: Nora LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 17:12:44 -0400

At 01:22 PM 7/3/02 -0400, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>On Tuesday 02 July 2002 21:23, Jordan DeLong wrote:
> > If I say
> >
> > le gerku cu jersi le mlatu
> > <they> cu tatpi binxo
> >
> > What can I use for <they>? I don't think "rera" or "reri" is quite
> > right... "ri .e ra" is a little bit lame, but the only thing I can
> > think of. Are there cmavo for this that I dunno about?

Having read through the several replies, I have yet to see the following 
points raised:

1. on "ri .e ra": My understanding is that "ri" would refer back to the 
last sumti, which is the cat. Then, "ra" would refer back to the 
next-to-last sumti - the first being "ri", which is NOT permanently 
assigned, and so is available as a referent. This makes "ra" refer again 
to the cat. You could instead (though I don't recommend it) use "ri .e ru" 
or "ra .e ra".
2. What I'd probably do is use "gy. .e my.".
3. You always, of course, have the option (shorter than some of the 
alternatives proposed) of using "le gerku .e le mlatu". Was is pycyn. who 
once pointed out that repetition is also a form of reference (of course, 
when he said it, it was witty).

mi'e noras.