Subject: Re: [lojban] pro-sumti question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 20:02:52 EDT

In a message dated 7/4/2002 3:54:04 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Sod it - just say le gerku .e le mlatu ;-)
> 
> More sensible comment -
> In English we'd probably disambiguate "they" by adding "both". What 
> would be the lojban equivalent (or am I opening a can of worms like 
> "would you like tea or coffee?")?
> 

In this context, the sensible suggestion is indeed. The "can of worms" is 
just the original question restated in a way that, alas, does not seem to 
produce any more light.

<The 
"individuality" of "le" is, I think, in the eye of the observer - by 
using "le remei", I convey that I am thinking of the pair as an entity , 
which is surely what is called for here.>

Yup. Notice that out of this context (and maybe even in it, since {le remei} 
is not that secure here) {le remei} might refer to a number pairs.