Subject: Re: [lojban] Comments on a bit of translation...

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 21:34:34 -0400

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 19:50, Theodore Reed wrote:
> LE LISRI PO'U LA ZELD.

This means Zelda is the story.

> |<----- 24 CHARS ----->|
> .I LE PACYNO'I PO'U LA
> GANYN. PUZUKI ZERLE'A PA
> LE CIBYVLI PO'U LE BAPLI

The English sounds like Gannon used power to steal the triforce, which would 
be {zerle'a pa le cibyvli sepi'o le vlipa} or {vlipa zerle'a pa le cibyvli} 
or something like that. What you said is that the triforce that he stole is a 
compeller. But then I'm not sure what a "triforce" is.

> .I LE NOBLI PO'U LA
> ZELD. GOI KO'A PONSE LE
> CIBYVLI PO'U LE PRIJE

Again, you're saying that this triforce is wise.

> GOI KO'E .I LE NU KO'A
> FENDI KO'E LE BI SPISA
> GOI KO'I CU VELMIPRI
> KO'A KO'E LA GANYN. BA
> LE NU KO'A SELKAVBU

The emphasis is the opposite of the English: "By her dividing it into the 
eight pieces, Gannon hid her from it after she was captured." I would say 
{ko'a fendi ko'e bi spisa goi ko'i tezu'e lenu mipri ko'e la ganyn. pu lenu 
selkavbu}.

Lojban can distinguish clearly whether "before she was captured" modifies 
"divided" or "hide". If it modifies "divided", insert {kei} before the last 
{pu} to close {lenu mipri}.

> .I KO FACKI LE SELZVA
> KO'I TEZU'E XRUTI KO'A

{xruti} isn't "save", but probably makes as much sense here.

phma