Subject: Re: [lojban] Comments on a bit of translation...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:09:08 EDT

In a message dated 7/10/2002 11:15:04 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

<<
> You have no legal liability here. You could, in fact, further protect
> yourself by being the one to point out this copyright violation to
> Nintendo. Their contact information for this is:
> 
>>

I know I don't, but at least one recent case has held that the owner of a 
list is responsible in the case of repeated violations. It has been stayed 
pending appeal, but sets a precedent for now. So, Logical Language Group 
might be liable, which taxes all of us in one way or another.
I rather resent the implication that I am a fink. (Is this another case of 
your thinking that my efforts to be helpful are covert attacks? See someone 
about paranoia.)

<<
Asking "How is this correctly translated?" (the only thing
he is doing) would surely fall under the "fair use for academic purposes"
clause.

That should be OK, but he started off with a continous and informative 
stretch of text and that is, apparently, at lest some times and to some 
extent a no-no (and has been since the days of ditto machines). It is 
unclear where the lines are (no, it is clear there are no lines but how far 
the fuzzy area extends). Less than a sentence is safely short, a whole 
chapter is clearly too long. And the purposes also vary the size of the grey 
-- translations seem to ahve more latitude than some things, less than 
critical studies.

<<
Recall, by the way:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lojban/message/7489

Very true, but much has changed in the last year. Even Esperanto has 
apaprently pulled in its troops a bit (but they almost always asked anyhow, 
they say).