Subject: Re: [lojban] talca = challenge

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:49:33 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/2002 3:47:07 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:
<<
> In what sense does talca mean challenge?
> 
> How would I say "he challenged him to a duel" How does the "duel" become 
> x3,
> a property?
>>
{talsa}?

Good question -- although the distinction between a property and an event is 
kinda small in a lot of cases. I would suppose {ko'a talsa ko'e le du'u ce'u 
damba ko'a} or some such, although {lenu damba} or {lenu ko'e damba ko'a} 
seems more natural.

<<
Apart from defy, challenge could also mean "hindered" (horizontally
challenged ;-) or "confronted"

Does "challenge" mean "defy"? (can one defy to or defy at?). The "hindered" 
meaning is just pc for "deficient in" (except for "circumferentially 
challenged" which is never applied to anorectics, only obese). In any case, 
the notes on gi'uste suggest {nandu} for challenging situations -- that is 
without an agent, but with an abstract x1.
"Confront" (and maybe "defy") seem to fit the definition of {talsa} pretty 
well, since they are usually over issues -- closer to properties than duels 
are.