Subject: Re: [lojban] bancu

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 16:29:29 EDT

In a message dated 7/21/2002 2:49:44 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> bancu : x1 exceeds/is beyond limit/boundary x2 from x3 in property/amount x4
> (ka/ni)
> 
> what goes in x3??
> 

At a guess (and, given that we generally forget the discussions that went 
into these discussions, that is what we are left with) this tells whether we 
have too much or too little of the property (cf. Aristotle on virtues being 
the mean between excesses -- and so vices being the excesses on either side 
the mean). 

The other obvious possibility is the source of the boundary -- who decides 
what is the line between excess and mere abundance.

Of course, the easy answer is just that x3 is always just abundance, perhaps 
differently named for different properties or quantities (I wonder if we now 
want those proeprties to be {ka} or {du'u}?).