Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: New Members, Board of Directors, other LogFest results

From: Bob LeChevalier-Logical Language Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 03:03:32 -0400

At 08:55 PM 5/26/02 +0000, jfkominek wrote:
>--- In lojban@y..., Bob LeChevalier-Logical Language Group <lojbab@l...> 
>wrote:
> > LogFest concluded with the departure of Nick Nicholas at 830 this
> > evening. Unlike previous years, we already have draft minutes of the
> > meeting, which I hope to post within a few days to members, and perhaps to
> > the list (they will eventually go on the Lojban web page).
>
>Will we be able to expect the 2001 minutes to be posted before
>the 2002 LogFest? (And while I'm pesterting, how about 2000 and
>1999?)

Attached are the current minutes. I'll have Robin put the prior minutes up 
on the website, but I'm not sure we'll have that before LogFest.

Here is the official meeting announcement for LogFest (which is this 
weekend). Any non-members who are planning on coming and haven't told me: 
you are most certainly welcome, but I would like to know you are coming so 
we can plan. If you told me more than a month ago and haven't said 
anything recently, please remind me.

>The 2002 Annual Meeting of the Members of the LLG will be held at 1030AM 
>EDT on Sunday July 28, 2002 at my house, 2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031 
>USA. There being insufficient notice as required, no bylaw changes can be 
>considered.
>
>Among agenda items will be:
>Financial:
>-the possible repayment of the last of the CLL printing debt to me (we're 
>close to being able to do so)
>-decision regarding our obligation to Perry Snith who also loaned $1000 
>but hasn't been in contact for several years
>-any set aside for payment to the bankrupt CAIS/Ardent, to whom we owe an 
>undetermined amount for Internet services, but they've had the billing 
>screwed up for 2 years so that we haven't paid.
>-whether we can find a way to reduce our costs for credit card processing, 
>which eats up a large portion of the book income that we sell via credit card
>Policy:
>-moving the various lists off yahoo (which may have been rendered moot by 
>Robin's mirroring, but this remains the only item that was actually 
>proposed in response to my call for agenda issues in May)
>-Any further efforts or need for efforts with respect to The Loglan 
>Institute, now presided over by R McIvor, who has long been a friend of 
>LLG (and was at the meeting where we first voted to produce Lojban). Can 
>we settle any/all outstanding disputes and declare peace? Do we care?
>-Presuming finances are settled, naturally, the ensuing print publication 
>of Nick's two books - the level 0 book and the lojban lessons. I have 
>estimates from one printer (Sheridan/Bookcrafters) for that publication, 
>and we can discuss this estimate in advance of the meeting if people who 
>won't be present want to do so. I don't have the numbers at my 
>fingertips, but, there is a base charge and then a per book cost, such 
>that the L0 book would likely run a couple dollars a copy in paperback, 
>and the lesson book around $5-6 a copy in hardbound. The requested 
>donation for the L0 book would presumably remain at $5; the price for the 
>lesson book needs to be decided, but probably needs to be around $25-30 if 
>we want to break even any sooner than the last book (which has taken 5 
>years to pay off the debt, leaving us several thousand dollars short of 
>breaking even)
>-ideas to improve my order fulfillment record (including possibly seeking 
>an order fulfillment service, that would fill our orders, typically for 
>dollar or two per book)
>-the ever continuing debate over priorities, the dictionary, and how 
>lojbab should spend his Lojban time, if and when he ever has any. Any 
>other tasks that Lojbab can farm out
>-reflecting on the latter, ways to respond to snail mail correspondence 
>regarding Lojban that does not give an email, given that we do not have 
>anything current which is fit to send out (8 year old brochures seem 
>passe, especially since most people who hear of us did so via the 
>Internet, and thus have probably seen it). Right now, such correspondence 
>gets filed for "someday" which means that people have not gotten response 
>for years. I think this needs to change, but I don't think I will 
>suddenly improve in this regard. Ideas welcome.
>-general discussion of our various on-line activities, official and unofficial
>
>Anything else that people want to suggest, of course. The minutes from 
>last year will suggest to new members the sorts of things that get discussed.
>
>If you cannot be present, it is important that I get an email from you 
>specifying that you received this notice, and indicating any proxy for 
>voting that you wish to assign to anyone who will be here. Please make 
>this email look as formal as possible, since it is for our purposes a 
>legal document. PGP keys can be included for security, but are not 
>strictly necessary.
>
>We especially need to hear from Karen Stein, whose membership was put "on 
>probation" since we have not had a proxy from her the last couple of 
>years. Ethan Fremen and Guy Garnett are the other two current members who 
>sent no proxy last year and may be labeled as "on probation" if we don't 
>hear from you this year.
>
>For those considering a proxy:
>
>Members who have recently indicated intent to be here:
>Nora, lojbab, John Cowan, pc, Robin Powell, Shawn Lasseter, Alex 
>Miles-Lasseter
>Those who have more distantly indicated likeliness to be here, but have 
>not said anything to me in the last few months
>Xod, John Hodges, Keith Lynch, PaulFrancis
>Those who have given proxies indicating they won't be here:
>David Crowell, David Young
>
>US LLG members that I have no word from
>Athelstan, Dave Barton, Karen Stein, Guy Garnett, Ethan Fremen (imeme), 
>Mark Shoulson, Tommy Whitlock, Gary Burgess, David Twery
>
>NonUS LLG members (who I presume won't be here, but we would like your 
>proxies, and any direction on issues to be considered)
>Arnt Johansen, And Rosta, Evguenie Sklyanin, Jorge, Nick Nicholas, Veijo, 
>Robin Turner, Ivan Derzhanski
>
>Non-members who have indicated intent to be here:
>Adam Raizin, Allan Bailey, Olivia(?)
>
>I wish to acknowledge a pair of $500 donations to LLG, from pc and from 
>Allan Bailey, which have made it possible to consider paying off the CLL 
>loan and discuss new publication efforts.
>
>lojbab

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org