Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: New Members, Board of Directors, other LogFest results

From: Jay F Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:52:38 -0600

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 10:15:55PM -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> > Who is really in a position to write all the definitions themselves?
> > For the gismu, OK, that is feasible. But add on the cmavo, and then a
> > scattering of common lujvo and fu'ivla, and no single volunteer can do
> > that. 
> 
> Especially since I think we should have definitions in both English and
> lojban, at least.

And there are also currently Spanish gismu, and French gismu in the works.

IMO, it ought to be of the utmost importance for the LLG to try and end
this English-centrism, and at least get the word lists translated into the
5 other major world languages. (If not declare it a "priority" that the
reference grammar and such be translated, as well.)

> > > We could talk about publishing a set of materials on CD-ROM, but my 
> > > understanding is that CD-ROM dictionaries are already becoming passe 
> > > because on-line lookup is more convenient for those who need convenience,
> > > and the download time for the current file is quite short.
> > 
> > The current ASCII files are likely inconvinent if not impossible for the
> > kinds of computerphobic users some people claim we need to target.
> 
> Dude, they bother *me*.

They're not exactly inconvinent for me, either, but I have a personal reason
for keeping it inconvinent... :) I was just being conservative in stating
who is inconvinenced.

> > Comb binding isn't all the expensive. (Or wasn't, the last time I had
> > Kinko's comb bind something for me.)
> 
> Can you give a ballpark number?

Not more than a couple of dollars.

I paid very roughly $4.60 for:

A 8.5"x11" clear plastic protective covering
A 8.5"x11" opaque plastic protective covering
~15 pages copied onto expensive heavy paper
A comb binding to hold over 400 pages. (the largest kinko's sold)
Labor

(I was having my Final school project bound. I'd already printed it, but I
needed the section dividing pages on heavier paper and plastic covering on
the front and back plus the comb binding.)

> > (Maybe for small stuff, they might even print it on their own
> > printers, or use the printers at work/school.)
> 
> I've printed the whole CLL that way. While I was waiting for my copy.

Me too. And most everyone else I've heard talk about the time before they
got their CLL.

> > Well when it takes 3 months for somebody to get their book, it seems to me
> > as though there is something rather wrong with something. 
> 
> Umm, more like 6 in several cases. Mine was rather longer than that,
> IIRC.

I was thinking about "LordBrain" since he is a rather recent case.

I ordered mine through Amazon.com, and it took long enough for them to get
the book that they twice asked me if I still wanted it. (I think they ask
once a month or so.)

-- 
Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
And this too, shall pass.