Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: New Members, Board of Directors, other LogFest results

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:43:45 -0700

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 06:33:34PM -0400, Bob LeChevalier wrote:
> BTW, Robin showed up last year, and was almost as much an unknown
> quantity in terms of ability to do what he said he wanted to do,
> though at least he had been present on the list. In the midst of a
> LogFest that turned into a personal disaster as my plumbing sprung a
> leak that looked and smelled like a major sewer failure (it wasn't)
> right at the same time a computer virus that my daughter had triggered
> a couple weeks before killed my system (just as we had finished
> downloading WinCVS), such that it could not reboot. Robin did an
> all-night rescue of my system (and all the LLG files of course)
> showing that he could and did deliver in a crunch, so we took a chance
> and he is managing the Website, and I couldn't be happier even if I
> can't find anything any more, because the community seems to be
> happier. 

I really enjoy that write-up, thanks.

> After imeme, the go-slow approach on transitioning the web site seemed
> more than a little wise, but I'm a little bothered that he thinks I
> don't delegate. 

<blink>

Heh.

I honestly hadn't made the connection.

My aplogies; that is a successful delegation example.

None the less, it is the only example I'm aware of. But thinking about
it more carefully, I can see your point: my bailing after the transfer
would have left www.lojban.org up the creek for at least a few weeks.

That honestly hadn't occured to me before.

Thank you for your trust.

> In a sense I delegated *everything* to him that night he saved my
> system, because I was reduced to a fog of trauma stress and wasn't
> particularly capable of anything other than responding to others. (I
> remember almost nothing of LogFest last year as a result, but I don't
> think I presented a particularly coherent or positive impression at
> the meeting).

And *boy* do I not want to do that again this LogFest. 8P

> For business work, everybody including myself has proven unreliable,
> unless you consider managing the Web page to be business and not
> technical.

You know, it occurs me to wonder how much it would cost in today's
economy to pay someone to do this.

If the amount is reasonable (and I'm not sure what reasonable is, but
<20$/hr sounds like a good number), I hereby volunteer to pay for as
much of such work as I can, as a donation.

I would be very, very, very surprised if there weren't people who
specialize in part-time administrative work for small organizations.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/