Subject: Re: [lojban] to-do list (was Re: New Members, Board of Directors, other LogFest results)

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:54:19 -0700

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 09:28:12PM -0400, Bob LeChevalier wrote:
> You have to understand that many people don't want to install ANY
> software downloaded from the net. there is a certain paranoia that
> has set in. In my case, my system died hard when Robin downloaded
> WinCVS last year, though it wasn't WINCVS or anything he did, and
> indeed Robin was of the opinion that I had TOO much stuff installed,
> since my Start Menu was overflowing. I also never uninstall anything.

I have rarely, if ever, seen a machine more in need of re-OSing.

> But for me also it is simply learning curve. Time spent learning news
> software cuts into the time I can spend doing what I do now, and I
> don't have enough time for THAT.

I posted *explicit*instructions*. Following them should take you about
10 minutes. You do *not* need to learn to use the software.

> I have the impression that several people have done that already.
> Since I can't imagine using the computer to look up individual words,
> I've never seen much use in it.

<boggle>

> I think that anything that is official needs to have been reviewed
> heavily by SOMEONE, preferably more than one "someones", who have
> established credibility for technical knowledge of the language. 

Purely out of curiosity, I'm curious if I count, both in your eyes and
others'. I like to think I'm pretty good with lojban, but 'technical
knowledge'? I dunno.

> On the other hand, it mattered a lot to Hartmut to have "official"
> support for his efforts to get Lojban used in the European Patent
> Office, even though LLG with its American-heavy membership would seem
> to have little reason to be listened to by the EPO.

See!? That's what I've been saying: official approval costs you
nothing, and it makes people happy.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/