Subject: Re: [lojban] Possible custom dictionary software?

From: Bob LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 00:58:52 -0400

At 06:08 PM 7/24/02 -0600, Jay F Kominek wrote:
>Further, to address a concern lojbab seems to like to raise, (even though
>I've included this in every design I've mentioned, I think), all changes,
>comments, definitions, etc will be tagged with a user id, so we can see
>who has done what. (And no, obviously you don't need a user id just to
>search and use the database, merely make changes.)

At the risk of shocking you, I have no problem with, and in fact fully 
approve of, everything you suggest, and furthermore I have approved of what 
you have suggested before. If I ask questions such as user tagging, it is 
to make sure that I understand, and that a key feature is not forgotten.

I'm not entirely sure what more I could have said. For LLG to commit to 
and start using your approach would have taken actually seeing the tools 
and, if that is what you intended (since I don't remember), converting the 
existing data to whatever format. That is basically what you did with the 
wiki - set it up and the Lojban world came running. I never quite 
understood why you did not do the same with your dictionary proposal, and 
figured that you just ran out of Lojban committed time for a while and 
never got back to it.

>One could likely search for 'kominek dictionary' in the mailing list archive
>to find my previous descriptions of what I intend to implement.
>
>Sadly, I recently lost all of my design documents except for the SQL database
>tables. I posted them at one point, just to demonstrate that doing this
>properly isn't as trivial as a flat file.

Is it exportable to a flat file? It has to be at some point, because a 
text document is a flat file document.

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org