Subject: Re: [lojban] to-do list (was Re: New Members, Board of Directors, other LogFest results)

From: "G. Dyke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:14:52 +0200

Jay:
>
> > You have to understand that many people don't want to install ANY
software
> > downloaded from the net.
>
> I have, at no point, ever suggested doing this as anything except a web
> based system. Anything beyond that would be entirely optional on the
user's
> part.

For me, the problem is that anything Internet-based, you have to be
connected for (=$$+++) ; which is why, in my previous posts, I only
considered using CVS with some sort of formatter.

>
> I have some vague idea how to design software appropriate for a given
> target audience. I've been doing it for quite awhile, now. I'm able to
> eat and putz about on the Internet because I'm paid to develop
> software. I'm told I'm fairly good at it. So could we maybe at least
> stop with the concerns that all the evil, horrible, mean UNIX-using
> Lojbanists are incapable of making something usable by plebes? Its
> tiresomeg, and insulting.

No, Unix users in general have spent so much time learning by hacking that
they have never found a use for *real* manuals ; the counterpart of this is
that they frequently design extremely user-friendly software (which, having
no *manual* is in appearance too complicated)

> > But for me also it is simply learning curve. Time spent learning news
> > software cuts into the time I can spend doing what I do now, and I don't
> > have enough time for THAT.
>
> Most people can use their web browser and fill out forms.

My internet connexion allows me to do this, but I'd really rather not...

> (And, since you'll likely not read the URLs I've posted above, I'll simply
> readdress the concern you had last time, wherein you said that you
normally
> did a few hundred words at a time, and wouldn't want to deal with a form
> each time. (How many times have you done a block of a few hundred words,
by
> the way? There are only 1350 some odd gismu. And what are you doing with
> them?) I can easily set something up so that people who want to make a
> bulk contribution can write themselves up a specially formatted text file
> and upload that to the web site. Why, hypothetically, it could even
> read stupid fixed column width ACII files.)]

Ahah, which all goes to show that I will be able to save my Internet bill
(not to mention the fact that I'll be moving into a flat where I'll have
*no* connexion whatsoever)

Greg