Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: New Members, Board of Directors, other LogFest results

From: Bob LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 03:30:30 -0400

At 08:43 PM 7/24/02 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>I really enjoy that write-up, thanks.

You more than earned it.

> > After imeme, the go-slow approach on transitioning the web site seemed
> > more than a little wise, but I'm a little bothered that he thinks I
> > don't delegate.
>
><blink>
>
>Heh.
>
>I honestly hadn't made the connection.
>
>My aplogies; that is a successful delegation example.
>
>None the less, it is the only example I'm aware of. But thinking about
>it more carefully, I can see your point: my bailing after the transfer
>would have left www.lojban.org up the creek for at least a few weeks.

More likely several months until/unless Cowan stepped in, because once the 
site of lojban.org was moved CAIS became almost useless to me except for 
email which was my lifeline to the community; I have no idea how I would 
get my local copy of the old website on line without a telnet shell account 
and the ftp command.

> > For business work, everybody including myself has proven unreliable,
> > unless you consider managing the Web page to be business and not
> > technical.
>
>You know, it occurs me to wonder how much it would cost in today's
>economy to pay someone to do this.
>
>If the amount is reasonable (and I'm not sure what reasonable is, but
><20$/hr sounds like a good number), I hereby volunteer to pay for as
>much of such work as I can, as a donation.
>
>I would be very, very, very surprised if there weren't people who
>specialize in part-time administrative work for small organizations.

I seriously like the idea of order fulfillment these days. At a buck or 
two per book, and a decent interface for me to relay orders to them (which 
I could do), it would not be bad economically. As for paying help, if we 
got a decent accounting package set up, my daughter or other high schoolers 
could do data entry for much less, and Shawn and Alex have done that sort 
of thing on their jobs for much less than $20 an hour. But paying has 
never been an option before.

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org