Subject: Re: [lojban] to-do list (was Re: New Members, Board of Directors, other LogFest results)

From: Bob LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 03:41:54 -0400

At 08:54 PM 7/24/02 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 09:28:12PM -0400, Bob LeChevalier wrote:
> > I think that anything that is official needs to have been reviewed
> > heavily by SOMEONE, preferably more than one "someones", who have
> > established credibility for technical knowledge of the language.
>
>Purely out of curiosity, I'm curious if I count, both in your eyes and
>others'. I like to think I'm pretty good with lojban, but 'technical
>knowledge'? I dunno.

I have to honestly say that I have read so little of the technical 
discussions in the last year that I have no opinion of my own, and I have 
no idea what others opinion of your technical judgement is, which is what 
really matters.

I generally have tried to avoid rating people myself because politically, 
any judgments I make of someone that are lower than they think of 
themselves as being could cost me their work on the project. I would 
rather view the consensus of others. The only exception for me is that 
writing in Lojban, such that others respond and answer back in Lojban, 
shows a minimum communication competence. Anyone who can maintain a 
conversation with xod or xorxes therefore has proven themselves to be above 
the beginner level.

> > On the other hand, it mattered a lot to Hartmut to have "official"
> > support for his efforts to get Lojban used in the European Patent
> > Office, even though LLG with its American-heavy membership would seem
> > to have little reason to be listened to by the EPO.
>
>See!? That's what I've been saying: official approval costs you
>nothing, and it makes people happy.

I think he wants more than verbal approval though. For him, official 
support would be a promotional page on our web site with links to his, 
official priority given to developing a sample patent text in Lojban to 
demonstrate its practicality. In short, people seem to think "official" 
means that we (and in practice >I<) will be actively supporting the effort.

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org