Subject: Re: [lojban] Possible custom disctionary software?

From: robin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:37:05 +0000

Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:

>I have spent much of my time lately rewriting from scratch the
>software that runs Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia-building
>project. The software is a custom Wikiwiki, with many features
>designed for the project (such as facilities for uploading images
>for use as illustrations and including text descriptions of them).
>
>It occurs to me that a few further customizations would make it
>a great tool for collaboratively building a dictionary. Specifically,
>instead of saving and editing just a single free-form piece of text
>for each article, it could present a form to be filled out with
>predicate places, definition, examples, etc. Perhaps special
>markup for switching among Lojban and English. Facilities for
>"locking" pages that have been completed and approved.
>
>You can use the current software at http://www.wikipedia.com
>Any other ideas for how it might be put to use here?
>
> 
>
.a'u.ie this looks like a great idea. I checked out Wikipedia, printed 
out the editing guide, then immediately wrote one article and revised 
(well, almost completely rewrote) another. The markup is easy to 
understand, even for people who've never used a markup language before, 
and as Lee says, we could easily add Lojban-specific tags. We could 
also run multilingual versions simultaneously. For example, at one 
point, when I had rather more spare time, I considered translating the 
gismu list into Turkish, but then decided I didn't have _that_ much 
spare time. On the other hand, I and any other Turkish speakers could 
add to a Turkish wiki dictionary (wiktionary?) as time permitted.

robin.tr

-- 
"There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those
who understand binary and those who don't" - thinkgeek.com

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Üniversitesi
Ankara 06533

http://www.bilkent.edu.tr/~robin