Subject: Re: [lojban] to-do list (was Re: New Members, Board of Directors, other LogFest results)

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:17:49 -0700

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 03:41:54AM -0400, Bob LeChevalier wrote:
> At 08:54 PM 7/24/02 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 09:28:12PM -0400, Bob LeChevalier wrote:
>
> The only exception for me is that writing in Lojban, such that others
> respond and answer back in Lojban, shows a minimum communication
> competence. Anyone who can maintain a conversation with xod or xorxes
> therefore has proven themselves to be above the beginner level.

Heh. Thanks. 8)

> > > On the other hand, it mattered a lot to Hartmut to have "official"
> > > support for his efforts to get Lojban used in the European Patent
> > > Office, even though LLG with its American-heavy membership would
> > > seem to have little reason to be listened to by the EPO.
> >
> >See!? That's what I've been saying: official approval costs you
> >nothing, and it makes people happy.
> 
> I think he wants more than verbal approval though. For him, official
> support would be a promotional page on our web site with links to his,

Which I can set up in about 3 seconds. And, in fact, I will link to his
software when it is done regardless, as it has lojban relevance.

> official priority given to developing a sample patent text in Lojban
> to demonstrate its practicality. In short, people seem to think
> "official" means that we (and in practice >I<) will be actively
> supporting the effort.

Giving official priority to something costs you nothing. Just because
you have given official priority to something does *not* mean you have
to do it!

I'm curious: have you ever just considered saying, "Well, we were going
to do *foo*, but the person who was going to do it didn't. So it didn't
get done. Anyone else want it?".

Things don't need to automatically fall back on you just because they
didn't get done the first time!

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/