Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: New Members, Board of Directors, other LogFest results

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:29:04 -0700

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 05:21:17AM -0400, Robert LeChevalier wrote:
> At 08:35 PM 7/24/02 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 05:21:58PM -0400, Bob LeChevalier wrote:
> >
> > Explicit verbal support of lojbanic projects. In public. I think it
> > would count for a lot.
> 
> I'll try.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

> > > >I'm also very happy with what I've seen so far of Jay's work on
> > > >dictionary tools, discouraged though he may be.
> > >
> > > I'm happy that he is doing something, even if I have no clear idea
> > > on what he is doing or has done.
> >
> >He's writing software to allow collaborative work on the dictionary
> >through a web form. This has been said several times in this thread.
> 
> Yes. And I know what the words mean. But I don't know how it gets a
> dictionary done. That will take people USING the web forms, and then
> it will take some way to get from data base to printed dictionary. I'm
> sure each of these can happen. I'm not sure either WILL happen.

I will personally handle the second part. I will personally be actively
involved in the first part. More, I can't say.

> > > >No kidding. Sorry, lojbab, but I'm not going to give money to
> > > >cover expenses incurred by the organization years before I even
> > > >heard of it.
> > >
> > > Umm, which expenses are those? The cost of publishing CLL
> > > ($17,500)
> >
> >That's the one.
> >
> > > So LLG needs to cover no old expenses.
> >
> >This directly contradicts things you've said earlier. In fact, it
> >derictly contradicts the rest of the paragraph (the LLG still owes
> >you money, doesn't it?).
> 
> I said that I think we now have enough to pay off that loan. 

Oh, cool.

> > > Meanwhile I have to admit that being responsible ONLY for business
> > > matters, while keeping the organization running, quite thoroughly
> > > saps my motivation to do other stuff that needs to be done and
> > > that I want to do.
> >
> >I am honestly deeply sorry to hear that.
> 
> It's been said at many LogFests. But the bottom line is that the
> grunge work has to be done by someone.

Would you even accept a volunteer to take that over at this point?
Would it even be *possible* for someone else to do it?

> >If, for example, you photocopied all the various address sheets and
> >handed out copies, nothing would be lost if people didn't work on
> >them, except a few minutes to photocopy.
> 
> And the money for the photocopying. I am REALLY chinzy with LLG money.

I'll give you the freaking photocopy money. Yeesh.

> > > And every year the membership has appointed individuals and
> > > committees who have volunteered to do this and that, and every
> > > single committee has been forgotten within a month of LogFest,
> > > seldom even communicating once, usually leaving me to pick up the
> > > pieces when I prepare for LogFest the following year.
> >
> >Given that the minutes were *just* posted, and you have not, as far
> >as I know, sent out any reminders, I can't see why you're surprised.
> 
> The point of the committee chairpersons is that they were supposed to
> do the coordination and contacting so it wasn't dependent on me and
> Nora. If a committee chairman needs to be reminded, no work has been
> saved.

I disagree. An e-mail once to all committee members a month takes <1
minute of your time. This might lead to many more than 1 minutes of
work getting done.

> >I don't think a monthly e-mail to all comittee heads asking for
> >status would be a hard thing. I, personally, have complete forgot
> >what committees I might or might not be on.
> 
> So have I. The committees are the members delegating things away from
> me so I DON'T worry about them.
> 
> Responsibility tends to hang heavy on me, as you may have noticed. %^)

Heh. Fair enough. I, personally, am putting anything I volunteer for
this year in my Visor.

I expect that one of these things will be volunteering to send out
reminder e-mails to the committee leaders once a month. 8)

And while I'm at it, I want to make public that I'm not going to
volunteer for anything more until I've memorized at least 80% of the
base vocab (I'm at 42%).

Just wanted to get that right out of the way; word memorization is my
lojbanic priority.

> Be that as it may, I think this will be more productive and positive
> than the last LogFest. Maybe more so with some of the stuff gotten
> off our chests in advance.

And no exploding pipes or computers. 8)

Yeah, I think this discussion will help.

-robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/