Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: New Members, Board of Directors, other LogFest results

From: Jay F Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:54:19 -0600

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 04:33:28PM -0400, Bob LeChevalier wrote:
> > > >Given that the minutes were *just* posted, and you have not, as far
> > > >as I know, sent out any reminders, I can't see why you're surprised.
> > >
> > > The point of the committee chairpersons is that they were supposed to
> > > do the coordination and contacting so it wasn't dependent on me and
> > > Nora. If a committee chairman needs to be reminded, no work has been
> > > saved.
> >
> >I disagree. An e-mail once to all committee members a month takes <1
> >minute of your time. This might lead to many more than 1 minutes of
> >work getting done.
> 
> I see your point, but it is a different philosophy than was the basis for 
> the past committees. Certainly we can do that if committees are NOT 
> established with a "lojbab keep away" attitude.

There is this implicit and unnessecary (blah, don't care to look that one
up, I can never spell it, anyways), assumption that lojbab even needs to
send these emails.

It is trivial to send automated emails. Robin or I could (and I'm
volunteering to do so), could trivially throw together something,
which would monthly send out an email along the lines of:

=====
Dear <foo>,
Please note that there are <n> days remaining until the start of next
month, when your report on the status of committee <bar> is due to the
LLG membership. If you are unable or unwilling to produce this report,
please notify the membership, or <person> promptly so that committee
leadership may be reassigned as appropriate.
- The Automated Committee membership reminder service
=====

In fact, producing that text was the longest part of developing software
to do this. Please give me a list of committees, their leaders, and their
addresses, and I can have something to Robin within a day to generate these,
or your money back.

Or should you not have such a list at the moment, then you may, at your
leisure, send me that list and cite this email, and my offer will still
be valid.

-- 
Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Were they dressed like this?