Subject: Dictionary software--Unicode, please

From: Edward Cherlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:22:21 -0700

Apart from all of the other considerations, please make any 
dictionary software Unicode-capable, so that we can put in IPA 
pronunciation data. Also so that we can do the Cyrillic and Tengwar 
orthographies, although not as many people care about that. Or so 
that someone can do a dictionary in languages *other* than Lojban and 
English, or cite correct word origins for "djarsuci" and the like.

I have to deal with dictionaries in various combinations of Sanskrit, 
Pali, Tibetan, Mongolian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, Russian, 
German, and English for Buddhist studies. Not that I know all of 
those languages, but there they are. If I were to translate Buddhist 
texts into Lojban, which could happen someday, I would want 
fully-functional tools.

Has anybody attempted a Klingon orthography for Lojban? I ask in part 
because the Klingon alphabet is not in Unicode, and won't be unless 
somebody starts using it seriously. Not that I expect anybody here to 
use such a thing seriously, of course.

Anyway, are there any other writing systems that people here would 
like to write Lojban in? Or at least see Lojban written in?
-- 
Edward Cherlin
[email-masked]
Does your Web site work?