Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: New Members, Board of Directors, other LogFest results

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:22:41 -0700

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 04:33:28PM -0400, Bob LeChevalier wrote:
> At 11:29 AM 7/25/02 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> >On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 05:21:17AM -0400, Robert LeChevalier wrote:
> > >
> > > It's been said at many LogFests. But the bottom line is that the
> > > grunge work has to be done by someone.
> >
> >Would you even accept a volunteer to take that over at this point?
> >Would it even be *possible* for someone else to do it?
> 
> Nora has been skeptical that SHE could do it, and she lives here. 

Heh.

> I think that someone local could transition to doing it, having access
> to me to answer the inevitable questions. Out of area, I have been
> skeptical because too much of my record keeping BACKUP is on paper,
> and the backup is what is needed when the inevitable questions arise.
> There is a hump that would have to be overcome in
> automating/modernizing my "system", and after that, it would not
> necessarily need to be local anymore. 

<nod>

> Non-local, I think it would take someone with even your intensity
> quite a while to overcome the hump unless it was done by massively
> throwing things out (as in everything from before CLL) and not
> worrying about them (which I considered and rejected, after Cowan
> suggested it). 

Heh. I personally think anything more than 5 years old is irrelevant.
When was the CLL produced?

> My current best guess as to what should be done to transition is to
> pick a system, transition what we can, and solve the remaining
> problems piece by piece.

<nod> I think it's worth a shot, personally, although the details
certainly haven't gelled in my mind.

> > > >If, for example, you photocopied all the various address sheets
> > > >and handed out copies, nothing would be lost if people didn't
> > > >work on them, except a few minutes to photocopy.
> > >
> > > And the money for the photocopying. I am REALLY chinzy with LLG
> > > money.
> >
> >I'll give you the freaking photocopy money. Yeesh.
> 
> Thank you for your generosity. Seriously, we have NOT had open
> pocketbooks in the last several years, and I've been not-spending in
> part to staunch the flow. 

<nod> 

> The unpaid ISP bill is my biggest worry, and I'm not the only one to
> hope that CAIS going bankrupt means that they will decide that it
> isn't worth collecting since we will require them to properly
> establish the billing amount, and I don't think they can.

I say wait until they come calling.

> > > >Given that the minutes were *just* posted, and you have not, as
> > > >far as I know, sent out any reminders, I can't see why you're
> > > >surprised.
> > >
> > > The point of the committee chairpersons is that they were supposed
> > > to do the coordination and contacting so it wasn't dependent on me
> > > and Nora. If a committee chairman needs to be reminded, no work
> > > has been saved.
> >
> >I disagree. An e-mail once to all committee members a month takes <1
> >minute of your time. This might lead to many more than 1 minutes of
> >work getting done.
> 
> I see your point, but it is a different philosophy than was the basis
> for the past committees. Certainly we can do that if committees are
> NOT established with a "lojbab keep away" attitude.

Yeah, well.

That attitude bothered me last year, and it bothers me now, and I will
have some stuff to say about it at the meeting.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/