Subject: Re: [lojban] senva

From: "G. Dyke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 21:41:00 +0200

>
> > > Do you think it's possible to get a non-lojbanist to help you with the
> > > gismu translation? I was thinking of paying someone here for a few
hours
> > > to work on it. (As yet I don't have a very specific person in mind).
> >
> > For a start, *I* charge SFr30.- (about US$20.-) an hour/page for
> > translation. I'm not *really* willing to pay anyone that amount for
> > something which I'll probably have to correct - and possibly
re-translate -
> > myself.
>
> What makes you think that a volunteer will necessarily do a better job
> than someone who's paid?

Well, I would inspect most of whatever anybody else did (well a couple dozen
entries to get a feel for quality - but idealy all of it) , just to be sure,
just like I'd like someone/people to make sure that I didn't get too carried
away in the tedium of it.

Aside from that, I don't believe a non-lojbanist would understand the
broadness of semantic concept which is inherent to a definition (not without
some vague introduction to lojban, place-structure etc.)

So, paid or unpaid, I definately think that a lojbanist would do better than
a non-lojbanist. I also don't think anyone who is not interested in lojban
would go to the trouble of
-working with French-English dictionary, French language dictionary, French
encyclopaedic dictionary, spanish translation of the gi'uste and
etymological sources for the gismu
-committing fairly frequently
-knowing when they come across concepts which merit a query
-understanding such comments as "heart : shape/emotional metaphors are NOT
culturally neutral"

>
> Well I would be willing to donate about 400 EUR in this way.

Hey, you can pay *me* ;-).

BTW, which part of South Africa are you from??

mu'omi'e greg.