Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: Dictionary -- Unicode

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 07:48:38 -0400 (EDT)

[email-masked] scripsit:

> But it is crucial to the two pronunciations being in the same phoneme that 
> they are predictable from context.

Not so. Contextual variation is the most common kind of allophony, but
free variation is also included, and is the case here. You are free
to pronounce Lojban "n" with a dental, alveolar, or velar realization
wherever you like. If it pleases you to pronounce "nanmu" as ngangmu,
you are completely correct.

So it may be conventional (for some) to pronounce UAcintyn with the first
/n/ as [eng] and the second as [n], but it is neither required nor
forbidden.

See the normative table on p. 30 of the Red Book.

-- 
One art / There is John Cowan <[email-masked]>
No less / No more http://www.reutershealth.com
All things / To do http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
With sparks / Galore -- Douglas Hofstadter