Subject: Re: Parliamentary Procedures

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 17:04:49 EDT

Given that our meetings are henceforth to be officially bilingual -- with 
instant translation on request, we need some terminology for running them and 
reporting the results. The standard terminology is loaded with centuries of 
British practice and I don't see any reason to carry all that over to Lojban 
(something with {jubme} in it for "table", for example). Herewith a few 
initial suggestions for a new friendlier meeting-speak:
"Order!" {se bacru} just calling attention to the hubbub, much more polite 
than, say, {ko smaji binxo} even if {ko} is not imperious (and it leaves a 
back-up position, as "Order" does)
"Move" {stidi}, or {ritli stidi} to be on the safe side.
"Second" (tsali gasnu} Other suggestions welcomed on this one (and all the 
others as well, of course).
"Carry by to" {jinga} with the ayes on the prize and the nos in the foes.
"Fail by to" {to'erjinga} with ayes and nays reversed.
"Table" {pensi denpa} -- a lujvo to get the places in.
There are a whole bunch of "Point of..." which I don't remember well enough 
to make suggestions at the moment. Over to Roberts readers.
"Call to order" {e'u [the meeting] cfari } Polite again
"Adjourn" {se fanmo}
"Recess" {denpa}
"Meeting" {nu pensi kansa} (Hawk ptui!