Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Parliamentary Procedures

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:55:52 EDT

In a message dated 7/31/2002 9:35:33 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

<<
> >"Order!" {se bacru} just calling attention to the hubbub, much more polite
> >than, say, {ko smaji binxo} even if {ko} is not imperious (and it leaves a
> >back-up position, as "Order" does)
> 
> How about {ju'i}?
>>
Well, it is possible, but it seems to be more directed toward getting people 
to listen/look at the speaker, rather than shutting up and following proper 
procedures. Probably the same effect in practice, though.

<<
>"Second" (tsali gasnu} Other suggestions welcomed on this one (and all the
>others as well, of course).

{stidi sarji}, {stidi kansa}.
Much better! The first is general for pro comments, so I guess I like the 
second best so far.

<<
>"Carry by to" {jinga} with the ayes on the prize and the nos in the foes.

The place structure doesn't seem to fit. x3 belongs with x1, not
with x2. I would go with {se zanru}, and the numbers might be added
with {mau} and {semau}: {ko'a se zanru mau li 9 semau li 3}
Well, I don't agree about what goes with what necessarily, but I admit the 
whole is a little farfetched. The {se zanru} form is also politer.

<<
>"Table" {pensi denpa} -- a lujvo to get the places in.

Did you mean {penmi}, or do you really mean {pensi}?
I like {bavypu'i} for "postpone".
I suppose that compound is malylatno -- what, after all, do you put where 
and on what (the table)? I meant {pensi}, the general term for considering 
things, apparently. And it is just (official) consideration that is being 
intermitted.

<<
>"Call to order" {e'u [the meeting] cfari } Polite again

{coiju'i}

Same problem as with {ju'i} above -- and mere attitudinals do not make for 
easy sumti to talk about the process with.

<<
>"Adjourn" {se fanmo}

{fe'o}
Same problems. How do you move to adjourn?

<<
>"Recess" {denpa}

{de'a pensi'u}

>"Meeting" {nu pensi kansa} (Hawk ptui!

nu pensi'u
{pensi'u} smells malglico -- we want a coming together of a group, not a 
bumping into one another by its various members. It may be the best we can 
do, but it is not very accurate (nor startlingly inciteful as another type of 
good lujvo would be). It sounds like the gas laws -- molecules regularly 
bumping into one another -- not an organization at a meeting (one hopes -- 
although,...}