Subject: Re: [lojban] Report on LogFest 2002

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 17:49:31 -0400

At 08:31 AM 8/1/02 -0700, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>On Tuesday 30 July 2002 10:05 pm, Bob LeChevalier-Logical Language
>Group wrote:
> > Part of this has always been intended, in that we declared years
> > ago that following the 5 year minimum baseline, any debates and
> > decisions as to possible changes in the language will take place in
> > Lojban-only, and my own opinion is that this part of the transition
> > to all-Lojban, in technical management of the language, is more
> > important than completely losing English in conducting the everyday
> > business of the organization (something we of course cannot do
> > completely, since we will still have to use English in dealing with
> > outsiders like the government).
>
>OK, that means that we need a Lojban translation (better, a second
>edition) of the Refgrammar, and of some of our favorite reference
>works on logic.

There is unlikely to be any further editions of the refgrammar until after 
the 5 year baseline period. There are several other books to write, and 
because of the baseline, not much is likely to change in the refgrammar.

It is plausible (though I'm not sure that it is likely), given the need for 
all-Lojban discussion of the language in order to change the baseline, that 
a Lojban translation of the refgrammar is needed for that discussion, in 
which case the target date for that translation will obviously be the 
earliest end date for the baseline, and the Lojban version would BECOME the 
second edition. We have plenty of time, so that can be a very low priority.

pc has a standing project to write a Lojban and logic book (of which he has 
2 sections done). It would seem that this would be the appropriate 
reference work on logic to be translated, but again this is a very low 
priority (not to mention that the book needs to be finished first before it 
can be translated).

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org