Subject: Re: gi'uste bau la Daitc

From: "Newton, Philip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:36:16 +0200

la pycyn. cu cusku di'e
> 
> <<
> bacru - - ba'u äußern x1 äußert/drückt mündlich 
> aus/sagt/spricht [erzeugt Laut] x2
> >>
> I worry about both sagen and sprachen as implying meaningful 
> content, but they may not.

They usually do (but then, so do "says" and "speaks", IMO, which are clues
in the English version). The clarification should probably go into the
comment part, which for English has in part "[also voices; does not
necessarily imply communication or audience; ('says' is usually cusku)]".

> <<
> balji - - - Knolle x1 ist eine Knolle/Zwiebel [Körperteil] 
> von Pflanze/Art x2; [im übertragen Sinne: gerundet, ausgebeult]
> >>
> 
> Can Zweibel be used in this generic (or worse) sense, or does 
> it always mean at least some sort of lily, if not Allium.

Not sure what species "Allium" is (garlic?), but to my mind, "Blumenzwiebel"
covers the same range as "bulb". That is, the thing out of which many
flowers (e.g. tulips, dahlias(?), iris) grow. This may not cover all plants,
but then, neither does "bulb" -- at least to me, but then I am not a
gardener. "Knolle" is a bit similar (and covers, for example, potatoes; my
colleague, who is [noi] a hobby gardener, says the main difference is that
Zwiebeln have layers).

> So, do you want the job?

Well, yes and no. The quality of what was posted so far made me want to post
a correction because I couldn't stand it :). And I've though about
translating the gi'uste in German before, a couple of times.

> Better, will you take it on and carry it through?

I'd really rather not, because I don't think I have the time. But I'm
willing to help. (Also, I haven't been involved with lojban for all that
long, so I'd be going mostly on the English glosses. This gets important
especially when two or more gismu have related but different meanings and
the "obvious" translation of a certain English word fits better with another
gismu.) I also thought that German wasn't a high priority and that "you"
(generic) wanted to translate into the six base languages first.

I guess it depends on how quickly you want it; if translating half-a-dozen
gismu a day, with more on other days, is enough, then I could have a shot at
it.

mu'omi'e filip.
[email copies appreciated, since I read the digest]
-- 
Philip Newton <[email-masked]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.