Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: gi'uste bau la Daitc

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:33:15 EDT

In a message dated 8/2/2002 2:36:44 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

<<
> Not sure what species "Allium" is (garlic?), but to my mind, "Blumenzwiebel"
> covers the same range as "bulb". That is, the thing out of which many
> flowers (e.g. tulips, dahlias(?), iris) grow. This may not cover all 
> plants,
> but then, neither does "bulb" -- at least to me, but then I am not a
> gardener. "Knolle" is a bit similar (and covers, for example, potatoes; my
> colleague, who is [noi] a hobby gardener, says the main difference is that
> Zwiebeln have layers).
> >>

Thanks. I am not sure how much {balji} is meant to cover: bulbs sure, but 
maybe also rhizomes and tubers (and I am at least as unclear as you about 
what the heck those are technically -- I like "layers" as the distinctive 
feature of bulbs). "lumpy underground thingies from which plants grow"?

<<
.) I also thought that German wasn't a high priority and that "you"
(generic) wanted to translate into the six base languages first.

Yes, well ... We don't have anybody really on hand for some of those base 
langauges (rusty thirty-year-old Sanskrit doesn't help much with Hindi, for 
example -- not even as much a similarly aged German does with German) and 
German seems a likely language from which new Lojbanists might arise. The 
base langauges might also be sources of recruits, but these potentials 
aaahave been unexplored in some cases: Hindi and Arabic, especially, and even 
Chinese is relatively underexplored.

<<
I'd really rather not, because I don't think I have the time. But I'm
willing to help. (Also, I haven't been involved with lojban for all that
long, so I'd be going mostly on the English glosses. This gets important
especially when two or more gismu have related but different meanings and
the "obvious" translation of a certain English word fits better with another
gismu.) 

I guess it depends on how quickly you want it; if translating half-a-dozen
gismu a day, with more on other days, is enough, then I could have a shot at
it.

I see that pi,er has suggested working on CVS, which would probably be a good 
idea for permanent results. Do you have the wherewithal to do that? Or 
perhaps taking ovver a Wiki page?

<<
The quality of what was posted so far made me want to post
a correction because I couldn't stand it :). And I've though about
translating the gi'uste in German before, a couple of times.

Glad to hear that my plan worked, at least to this extent.