Subject: Re: Official projects (was: Re: [lojban] pedagogy and lojban)

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 18:29:31 -0400

At 05:53 PM 8/2/02 +0200, G. Dyke wrote:
>Thanks for not complaining "this was why I was hesitant in making things
>people were doing 'official supported projects'".

I have no complaints about the new official projects policy. We have a 
mechanism to give the Board review rights, which is what I felt was 
needed. Robin convinced me that he'll handle the web page maintenance to 
support things.

>You seemed to think it was a really good idea, so I thought you might have
>something more specific in mind than "yeah, I agree, some proper
>educational, *teaching* material would be cool".

I think that we need more teaching stuff, but I've given all my ideas on 
teaching in the course of the draft textbooks and what I mentioned in the 
discussion in the last day or so. Athelstan was the one who could teach a 
small group; I have no talent for teaching, it seems. My ideas tend to be 
built around what worked for me in self-teaching, and I've found out that 
people don't necessarily like my way of learning, which is heavily drill 
and kill oriented. (I used LogFlash religiously for a couple of months 
over a decade ago and still know the words despite rarely trying to use 
Lojban.)

>Would this definition of an official project seem OK?
>
>"This is something so cool, it really wants finishing! Could someone
>coordinate all the efforts of this project and keep LLG up to date on how
>far you've got. Try to make everything you do available to the public so
>that if you get tired of doing it, someone can pick up where you left off,
>instead of starting all over from scratch. If you get tired of doing, spend
>you last few hours of it making it accessible to whoever picks up the baton,
>and tell LLG that you're not doing it for the anticipated future"

As Jay noted, the minutes contain the official plan. But as for what 
constitutes a project that should be official, I think you've pretty well 
got it. The members having decided that we'll have "official projects", 
I'll support people who volunteer and who then act on what they volunteer 
for; but I also don't intend to wait for people to volunteer if I see 
something I would like LLG to support that is of comparable value to other 
projects that are being supported.

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org