Subject: Re: non-core translations

From: "aolung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 10:10:27 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., BestATN@a... wrote:

> > I also thought that German wasn't a high priority and that "you"
> > (generic) wanted to translate into the six base languages first.
> > 
> > mu'omi'e filip.
> > 
> the languages that should be done are the ones people are willing
(and able) 
> to do. if i want to translate the gi'uste into hebrew or dutch,
i'm not 
> going to let the fact that an arabic or hindi translation hasn't
been done 
> yet deter me. in other words, you take want you can get.

Steven, I share your opinion, but on the other hand never imagined
that anybody 
_not_ knowing at least some English to grasp the gi'uste was
interested in 
dealing with Lojban. So, what for translate the list into German etc.
The only 
reason for doing this, IMHO, could be to avoid an English-biased
Lojban throughout 
the whole world (this view, for sure, is still nothing but wishful
thinking at the 
moment). There might be a big difference in "feeling the language"
when studying 
the gi'uste by means of an English-coined vocabulary or acquiring
Lojban through 
German, French, Chinese or what have you. I was getting aware of this
only when 
trying to translate this stuff into German and seeing the
difficulties e.g. caused 
by idiomatics etc. (As for me, whether I like it or not, my Lojban is
of a 
somewhat English hue :( yet, unlike many of you, I'm at least aware
of this :))

mu'omi'e .aulun.
http://www.fa-kuan.muc.de

Anthology of Sung poets (German/Chinese)
My favourite poetry in German, English, Chinese, Rumanian, Hungarian,
French, 
Spanish, Yiddish, Lojban etc.